New to Framing
Cutting & Joining a frame:
- Use the measuring scale to set to required length
- Set the rebate support to ensure a clean cut through the lip of the moulding
- Mitre cut the moulding, by taking a number of bites, slowly advancing each time
Step 2) Joining a frame
- Set the support gauge and top pressure pad to position where v-nails will be inserted into the moulding.
- Apply PVA woodbond glue to the of the long side of the frame
- Using the support gauge, bring the long and short sides of moulding together and align carefully.
- Press down on the pressure pad to insert the V-nails and joing the corners.
- Repeat the process with the remaining long and short pieces of the frame. Then join to form the frame.
Step 3) Bevel cutting mountboard
- Cut the sheet of mountboard to the outside of the mount, this is usually the same as the glass size
- Set the bottom, top and back gauge stops to the required border widths. Cut the bevelled window.
- Check the depth of bevelled blade cut. Bevel cut each side in turn.
Step 4) Finishing the Frame
- Apply backing board and secure the frame using framers points.
- Give the frame a professional finish using tape.
- Apply a suitable hanger and the artwork is ready to be hung on a wall.